In this period of Stabilization, we really are just trying to “stabilize” the starvation response that sets in after even a modest weight loss of 5% (my “energy gap” slide). By replacing energy “out” with energy “in” helps metabolism trust again (it’s called “high energy flux” and actually may help abate energy gap by improving energy expenditure following weight loss). So the goal in Stabilization is to try to replace these calories, and with cardio, that’s easiest to achieve through fat servings. So basically, each fat “serving” is portioned to provide (on average) 100 calories or less per serving. So if a client suddenly changes his/her exercise regime from walking to running, they may need to increase energy in to 1 or 2 far servings per day to “cover” the calories (it REALLY helps if they’re tracking calories burned through a fit band or their phone). They can also add a Peach Mango or a BCAAs (no harm). But supplementing with protein and packets will be covered more in Maintenance, when these higher intensity activities are highly encouraged.
Articles in this section
- If we have a dieter not ready yet to start the protocol, but is interested. How are we starting him on the Stabilization?( By the past, the client could adapts or weaned off "junk food" before starting in phase 1, fully ready)
- Why is protein now limited throughout Phase 1 & 2, should it not be the first Marco that we increase if we have more caloric room?
- Will we ever be looking at total BMR and totaling calories? Or just be staying with Macro Needs and adding extra fat for exercise? What if a dieter uses the APP and total caloric intake differs from each day?
- Would it be possible to have a step by step instruction guide for Phase 2 onboarding like phase 1 in the clinic manual?
- If someone burns 400 calories in the gym daily one week on phase 2 and states that they are hungry, should the coach increase by only 1 serving of fat and reassess the next week? Or add 4 servings?
- Will there be additional training on how to troubleshoot weight gain vs weight loss in Phase 2? It is unclear as to what to add/remove. Perhaps more case studies would be helpful.
- When reviewing and assessing the dieter on Week 2 and so on, do we go in the order of: protein, fat, fiber, activity level, sleep or how do we determine which to try first?
- For people doing Phase 1 only for 2 weeks, do they also need to start carbs at 40 in stabilization and go up to 50 max?
- What’s an energy gap?
- Are there science support documents? Our clinics will ask for this regarding the new phases to support the categorization of the 3 macros and net carb increase approach?