In this period of Stabilization, we really are just trying to “stabilize” the starvation response that sets in after even a modest weight loss of 5% (my “energy gap” slide). By replacing energy “out” with energy “in” helps metabolism trust again (it’s called “high energy flux” and actually may help abate energy gap by improving energy expenditure following weight loss). So the goal in Stabilization is to try to replace these calories, and with cardio, that’s easiest to achieve through fat servings. So basically, each fat “serving” is portioned to provide (on average) 100 calories or less per serving. So if a client suddenly changes his/her exercise regime from walking to running, they may need to increase energy in to 1 or 2 far servings per day to “cover” the calories (it REALLY helps if they’re tracking calories burned through a fit band or their phone). They can also add a Peach Mango or a BCAAs (no harm). But supplementing with protein and packets will be covered more in Maintenance, when these higher intensity activities are highly encouraged.
Articles in this section
- For people doing Phase 1 only for 2 weeks, do they also need to start carbs at 40 in stabilization and go up to 50 max?
- What’s an energy gap?
- Are there science support documents? Our clinics will ask for this regarding the new phases to support the categorization of the 3 macros and net carb increase approach?
- What to do when a client says, "I hate to plan!" ?
- Clarification on guidelines for those who are doing a tune up, especially as that’s now recommended twice a year. Is a full 7-day step down necessary? For example, someone doing a tune up loses 12 pounds. Best way to stabilize?
- What are the recommendations for exercise in stabilization?
- Could the coach suggest increasing the proteins in the Stabilization phase instead of the fat when the dieters are having some craving.
- Does the step-down week count as part of the recommended time in stabilization?
- May you confirm the unlimited vegetables do not count toward the net 40 carbs?
- How does alcohol factor in during Step-Down, Stabilization and Maintenance?